Composting is allowed in agricultural and residential districts.
• Compost bins must be ten feet (10’) from property lines and may not be within twenty feet (20') of a residential dwelling, other than on the property where the compost bin is located.
• Compost bins may not allow runoff or leakage to enter streets, sewers, ponds, streams, drainage ditches, or wetlands.
• No compost bin may be located within twenty-five feet (25’) of any body of water, floodplain, shore land, or designated wetland buffer.
• All composting must occur in a container/bin constructed of wood, wire mesh, concrete, block or a combination thereof, or in a commercially available compost bin designated for composting organic waste.
• No herbicides, pesticides, meat, bones, whole eggs, dairy products, un=shredded branches, logs, weeds heavily loaded with seeds, plastic, synthetic fiber, human or animal wastes, diseased plants or any other mixed municipal waste may be added to a composting bin.
(City Code 5-4
Follow Us On