Printable Handout for Lawn Irrigation Systems
Permit and Fees
A plumbing permit is required for the installation of a lawn irrigation system.
The permit fee is $71.00 (includes state surcharge).
Any backflow prevention device requires a plumbing permit.
Please use our online Backflow Preventer Test form to submit your report.
- All water services must be installed within a laundry, utility or furnace room.
- A floor drain connected to the sanitary sewer system must be installed on the same floor level as the water meter/service within 8 feet of the water meter.
- All water service valves and piping must be installed in accordance with the Minnesota State Plumbing Code.
- The tie into the water line must be on the house side of the water meter.
- All solder must be 95-5.
- A full flow valve (ball or gate) must be provided after the tie in with a means of draining the line after the valve.
- A backflow preventer must be provided to protect the water supply line.
- An approved RPZ (reduced pressure zone) backflow preventer, an atmospheric backflow preventer or a pressure type vacuum breaker are all types of protection. See the illustrations for type of backflow protection your system requires.
- Backflow preventers are required to be tested, and maintained in accordance with the Minnesota Plumbing Code. Copies of all inspections and maintenance reports must be filed annually with the City Inspections Department.
There is one inspection required for the installation of lawn irrigation systems. The inspection will take place once the water connection is made and the piping is run to the outside with all valves and backflow preventer installed. The actual irrigation system in the ground does not need to be installed for the inspection. Call 651-322-2024 to schedule all inspections.
Follow Us On