Renewable Energy Options
There are different opportunities for residents and businesses to source some or all of their energy from renewable sources. Ranging from on-site installations to subscription programs, there are different options available to best suit your needs.
Renewable Energy Subscriptions
Renewable energy subscriptions are a great opportunity for homeowners, renters, and businesses owners to access renewable energy.
- Xcel Energy Electric Customers: Xcel Energy’s Windsource® is a renewable energy subscription program that allows residential customers to source some or all of their electricity from wind energy. Sign up at xcelenergy.com/Windsource.
- Dakota Electric Customers: Dakota Electric’s Wellspring Renewable Energy® gives customers the option to subscribe to some or all of their electricity from renewable wind and solar energy. Sign up at dakotaelectric.com/Wellspring.
- All Customers: Community solar gardens are great opportunity for homeowners, renters, and business owners to subscribe to renewable energy. You will receive a monthly bill credit based on how large your subscription amount is. Visit CleanEnergyResourceTeams.org/Directory to find a garden operator and a list of questions to ask before subscribing.
On-site Renewable Energy
You can install solar panels on your home or business. Follow these steps to get started:
- Determine your property’s solar potential: It’s important to consider your solar potential before deciding if installing solar panels is right for you. You can get a sense of your property’s solar potential by using the Minnesota Solar Suitability App. Visit mn.gov/SolarApp.
- Talk to the City: It’s important to talk to the City about your project so you know what permits are needed and confirm that your project is compliant with City Code. Contact Anthony Nemcek, Senior Planner, at 651-322-2090 or at Anthony.Nemcek@rosemountmn.gov.
- Select a contractor: Use Clean Energy Resource Teams’ online directory to search for qualified installers. Contacting more than one installer will help you compare bids and make the best choice. Visit CleanEnergyResourceTeams.org/Directory.
Looking to learn the lingo of solar? Want to know what questions to ask your contractor? Looking for great examples of projects? Visit www.CleanEnergyResourceTeams.org/tools-guides.